Monday 18 February 2008

No you cant have a study guide

I received a phone call from a very dear friend of mine ("Nice girl") who is doing her BVC course at the same place I did mine, although she is doing her course over two years part-time, as she is having to work to pay for the course.

Our conversation went as follows

NG "Hello Barrister2b"
B2B "Hello"
NG "Can I borrow your old advocacy study guides"
B2B "Why, have you left yours down the pub?"

NG "No - we have been told that we are not getting them as they are not really much good"
B2B "So - how are they teaching you advocacy?"
NG "In a master class with barrister who practice locally"
B2B "So - whats the problem?"
NG "We have only had two master classes and our exams are round the corner?"
B2B "Have you spoke to the course director?"
NG "We have a meeting with him next week?"
B2B "I represented the provider in my capacity as student at the course validation meeting and it was minuted that the part-time course would be provided with at least the same materials as the full time course"
NG - "Thanks B2B"
NG - "By the way the provider is providing yoga lessons free of charge to de-stress part time students"
B2B - "I am lost for words, so you cant have a study guide, but get a yoga lesson"
B2B - "You can have my old study guide if you want it"
NG - "Thanks B2B - Dinner on me then"

5 comments:

Andy Stone said...

Pleeease tell me this isn't BPP?

Anonymous said...

Incredible!
While I freely admit part time students on the BVC are often treated like second class citizens and indeed a bit of a cash cow for the providers, there is no excuse on the part of the latter not to provide students with the requisite study materials.
Even MY provider is not THAt bad.....

Anonymous said...

this is off topic and just to let you know that I've tagged you!

Android said...

We don't use advocacy manual either

--- said...

At least at our place none of the students get it, whether part time or full time.

Shocking state of affairs!