Monday 2 July 2007

Can a BVC tutor spot success at an early stage


I met one of my old BVC tutors last week and had a coffee and a chat. I asked her something that had been on my mind for a while "When you meet a new cohort of BVC students for the first time, can you tell at an early stage which students are going to make it and which will fail?" The reply I received was interesting "Its hard to tell at first, but you do see some students who remind me of certain barristers who are in practice, by this I mean have similar traits, these are the students who do well"




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi B2B,
That's REALLY scary! Do you think the tonsorial BVC type tutor can really spot future counsel?
Did you venture to ask what her initial opinion was of you - if you did you are certainly far braver than I am!!

Barrister 2 B said...

Its very hard to say - I have always said that you get some people who have a good gut feeling about things and I think she falls into that group. I did ask her what her view of me was and all she said was "you have a great job, that pays a fortune, why on earth would you be mad enough to go to the bar" I did not push it.